6.04.2012

(D.I.Y.) Powder Laundry Detergent


One day while doing laundry I came to the conclusion that I hate having to buy laundry detergent. So why not make my own?
I headed to Google and Pinterest to come up with ideas. I found many but they seemed like so much work. Then came across this one. It costed about $30ish (not including the storage container I bought to keep it in). This one - so far so good! Smells great, works great (even on my husbands greasy work clothes!) and doesn't bother Lorenzo's eczema or cause any problems with Gi.

You will need:

1 (4lb 12oz) box of Borax                                                                2 (14.1oz) bars of Zote Soap
1 (3lb 7oz) box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda          4lb of baking soda (I purchased 2 2lb boxes) 
3lb OxyClean (generic works fine!)                                              1 or 2 (55oz) bottles of crystal fabric softener (Purex)
2 (14.1oz) bars of Zote Soap (pink is scented, white is not)    A large bucket or lidded container for storage


First you will need to grate the bars of Zote. You can either do this by hand, or by using a food processor. I used my food processor. (it's just soap!) Next you will basically just be mixing everything together. Now mixing all of these things is a challenge. I ended up just digging my hands in and doing it that way. I'd recommend making thin layers of each of these items in the bucket and then mixing it afterwards. Use (+/-) 2 tbsp in each load of laundry, depending on how dirty your load may be or the load size

I removed the label and filled one of the Purex bottles up with the detergent for easy use. Then just use the cap for my measuring. Normally I fill it to the 2nd line.

(*TIPS*) In the ingredients it states 1 or 2 bottles of the crystal fabric softener. Obviously 2 would make stronger smelling clothes, one would be slightly scented or well you could omit this ingredient all together! From what I understand this works great with HE machines. However it should not be used on cloth diapers. It contains softener and Borax, which is bad for cloth diapers!!


x Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment